Sunday, April 11, 2010

Oatmeal Stout


Nick and I brewed an Oatmeal Stout on Thursday.

Grain Bill

  • 9 lb. Pale Malt
  • 1 lb. Roasted Barley
  • 1 lb. Rolled Oats
  • .25 lb. Rice Hulls
Hops
  • 1.75 oz. Chinook (60 min.)
Yeast
  • California Ale Yeast
OG: 1.050 FG:

Had to use a two-stage mash in this one, and had to mash-out.  I hit my target temp for stage one exactly on, but missed my temp for stage two by at least 5 degrees.  Not really sure how this will affect the beer, but I am not too worried.  I also missed my target gravity by .004.  I was a little bummed about that since lately I have been overshooting my target gravities.  I am not worried that this will have too terrible of an impact on the beer though, just a little less alcohol, but if I were going for alcohol content I would have made another IPA.

Anyway, here are some pics.


Here Nick is prepping the strike water.
Here I am adding the grain bill.
Here I am adding the strike water.
First Runnings.
Hops Addition.
Chilling the wort.
Filling the Carboy.
Yeast pitched and airlocked.
The smaller carboy is leftover second runnings, I will siphon it onto toasted coconut in a week just for fun.

Had a lot of fun making this one, can't wait to taste in about a month and a half.
-Foodstyle

No comments:

Post a Comment